Breakfast is a critical meal for me and Jane. We start work early and require healthy food to stay alert and productive. Quinoa is one breakfast food which helps us start our day with natural energy. Creamy, sweet, nutty and just really good. This recipe is so easy it’s almost fool proof. Ok, Let’s Get Cooking!
* Coconut Quinoa Porridge *
By Chef Bruce West
Yield: 4 servings ~ Total preparation & cook time: 1 hour
3/4 cup uncooked Quinoa
2 cups water
1 tsp unsalted butter (optional)
1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
1 cup water
4 tablespoons brown sugar
Toasted shredded coconut (click for recipe)
Toasted almonds (optional – click for recipe)
Fresh berries, cubed mango, or sliced bananas (optional)
- Wash quinoa in cold water, then strain (use a colander that has fine mesh).
- Place 2 cups water in a 2 quart sauce pot that has a tight fitting lid.
- Add the butter and salt. Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the quinoa and bring back to a boil. Place the lid on the pot.
- Turn flame down to very low; the quinoa & water should simmer gently. Do not remove the lid.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat but do not remove the lid. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes as the quinoa will absorb any remaining moisture.
- Remove lid. Add coconut milk, brown sugar and the 1 cup water. Bring to a boil while stirring.
- Cook for approximately five minutes.
- Pour into dessert or soup bowls. Add toppings.
- Serve and Enjoy!
And there you have it ~ Tasty Sweet Coconut Quinoa Porridge!
This Hot ‘Cereal’ is easy to make, healthy, packs a wallop of nutrition, and very satisfying.
Best of all, it’s Delicious! 🙂
With the Chilly Weather coming, we hope you give this warm, healthy breakfast dish a try.
We love it!
Cheers, and Happy Eating!
- Clean Living Quinoa Porridge with Raspberry’s, Blueberry’s, Seeds and Cinnamon (beautyroomdubai.wordpress.com)
- The Ancient Grain Quinoa: Basic Cook Instructions (lowfat.answers.com)
- Hot Quinoa Porridge on a Rainy Sunday in Spring (norulesnutrition.wordpress.com)
- Sweet Red Rice Porridge (Mmmtastethis.com)
- Coconut Quinoa Pancakes (awakenyourwellbeing.com)