These delicious, crunchy, savory little bites make a great snack,
lunch, salad topper, or party appetizer!
Make them for your next get-together, and watch them disappear!
~ Fried Crab Bites Recipe ~
4 Tblsp butter
3 Tblsp flour
1/4 cup diced onions
1 tsp dried dill OR 1 Tblsp chopped fresh dill
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch white pepper
1/2 tsp green hot sauce [we use Marie Sharp’s]
8 ounces lump crab meat (inspect crab for small shells bits)
1 quart frying oil – placed in a 6 quart heavy duty stock pot
Egg Wash: 2 eggs and 1/2 cup milk combined in a mixing bowl
1/2 cup flour in a mixing bowl
1 – 2 cups plain bread crumbs in a mixing bowl (add 1 tsp Badia Complete Seasoning, or your favorite herb seasoning mix, to the bread crumbs)
1. Melt butter in the 4 quart saucepan over a small flame. Add diced onions and sauté until onions are soft.
2. Add flour and stir using the wood spoon. Stir the flour and butter about four minutes; do not let the mix stick to the bottom of the sauce pan.
3. Add the dill, salt pepper and stir. Turn off the flame.
4. Place the mix in the metal mixing bowl.
5. Add the hot sauce. Stir the mix until there is no steam left in the mix.
6. Add the crab. Using your fingers, mix in the crab just until crab combines with the flour/butter mix. Place the crab mix in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
7. Shaping the crab balls: Place about 1 Tblsp of the mix in your palms and shape into balls. Place the balls on a plate. Continue till all is used.
8. Now perform the breading process: Place a ball in the flour and lightly coat with flour. Drop a ball in the egg wash and then place the ball in the breadcrumbs.
9. Do this for all the balls.
10. Heat the frying oil to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (162.7 C)
11. Drop about 6 crab balls in the frying oil at a time, using the slotted spoon to roll them around to be sure you fry the balls on all sides.
12. Cook for about one minute.
13. Use slotted spoon to remove the balls and place on paper towels to remove excess oil.
14. I suggest that you serve the little crab balls with a basil and lime mayo, or sweet chili sauce.
15. voilà – you made a tasty appetizer everybody will love!
These are yummy delish.
We hope you decide to give them a try!
Cheers, and Happy Eating!