Fresh Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
Shrimp & Fresh Pasta in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
- “It’s no secret that I love tomatoes, homemade pasta and seafood…
…and the multiple combinations and possibilities using herbs, wines, butters and cream. Having worked in many restaurants, we often made tomato and cream sauces, calling them “Rose Sauces”. The term was used as a quick way to communicate to our guests about the color of the sauce, but it did not succeed in describing the flavors or ingredients to them. Over time, I dropped that term from my menus, and wrote descriptively about tomato sauces; offering critical ingredients that dominated the flavors of the dish. If made often, you will see when combining tomatoes and cream, the results can vary depending upon the type of cream and its origin, or where the tomatoes and garlic were grown. These factors do influence the flavors in your sauce. This fact holds true for the origin of all your ingredients. So I am careful and choosy when making classic sauces. For this dish, I decided to bring back a classic sauce using fresh pasta, tomatoes, cream and shrimp. * Note: If you do not eat, do not want, or do not have shrimp on hand – this sauce and dish work equally as well without. You may also choose to omit the cream, and use as a delicious “any day” Tomato Sauce.
Natural, Quality Ingredients
The tomatoes I used for this recipe are ripe whole tomatoes in puree (canned) from Italy, the cream is local and organic, the garlic and basil were grown in upper Bucks County. This is an easy recipe that anyone can make at home. So, Let’s Get Cooking! 🙂 ” ~ Chef Bruce
Fresh Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
(with Shrimp & Fresh Pasta}
Prep Time: 20 minutes ** Cooking time: 20 minutes
* Natural Ingredients: (Serves 2)
4 ounces fresh pasta (you may use dry as well).
** Cook the pasta according to directions, but do not over cook the pasta. The pasta will be added to the shrimp and sauce so it will be cooked a bit more in the sauce.
Fresh, Homemade Pasta
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
10 Shrimp, shelled and deveined *
1 Tblsp Chopped fresh garlic
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or chopped fresh chilies
1/4 cup dry white wine (I prefer Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc)
1/2 cup diced tomatoes in puree, or use your own fresh tomato sauce
1/2 cup fresh cream (I used organic half & half)
1/2 tsp salt
Fresh milled black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Simmering the Tomatoes, Herbs & Spices
- Place a 10 or 12 inch sauté pan on medium flame. Add the olive oil and butter.
- When the butter is melted and starts to sizzle, add the shrimp to the pan in single layer. Cook the shrimp on both sides for about one minute each side.
- Add the garlic and stir but do not burn the garlic. Add the white wine and cook for about one minute.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add the cream, salt, milled pepper and basil. Bring to a boil again and then add the cooked pasta.
- Stir all ingredients together and taste if more salt or pepper is needed. If you think you need more sauce, just add a few tablespoons more cream.
- Plate, and serve. If your pasta absorbs the sauce, you may add a few tablespoons of water or chicken stock. Enjoy!
Fresh Tomato Basil Cream Sauce w Pasta