The thought of making Waffles scares some people. I think because it takes a special piece of equipment. Never fear! You don’t need a fancy or expensive waffle iron – Bruce uses his mom’s 40 year old hand-me-down. After a little seasoning by use, it works great. So don’t be afraid to get one cheap, on ebay, or at a yard sale.
We have Waffles for either breakfast or dinner nearly once a month, so it is worth owning a waffle iron. I have a friend who loves making both omelets and hashed brown potatoes in hers, so hers does triple duty – earning it’s keep. We haven’t tried either yet, but they sound good to me! 🙂
Our family loves when Bruce makes Waffles. Once you master the time & temp amounts, waffles are an easy, comforting go-to hard-day dinner, with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. At the bottom of this page, please find a Healthy Waffle Recipe, and one for our yummy Warm Apple Compote. Alrighty then. You Ready? Let’s Get Cooking!
Servings: 4 Waffles
1 cup All Purpose flour
2 T baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 T corn starch or tapioca flour
1 cup milk
2 T melted unsalted butter
1 T sugar
Wire whip, 2 mixing bowls (approximately 2 quart size), waffle maker, 4 ounce ladle, spray oil
- Place all dry ingredients in one mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly with a whip.
- Place all wet ingredients in the other mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Using the whip or fork, stir only until combined. Do not over mix. Batter must rest for about 10 minutes.
- Turn on waffle maker to high temp. When waffle maker is at high temp, lightly spray the cooking surface.
- Ladle 4 ounces of the batter onto the cooking surface
- You will have to experiment with the temp and time, as each waffle maker varies in cooking time
Top with sliced fruit, toasted nuts, warm compote, honey, etc, – and enjoy!
Cheers, and Happy Eating!
- See our *Healthy Version Waffles* Recipe HERE: Healthy Waffles
- See our *Warm Apple Compote* Recipe HERE: Easy Warm Apple Compote