Hand Dipped Vanilla Butter Creams, Plain and with Sea Salt
- Cutting right to the chase, I LOVE chocolate.
I don’t know if it’s every woman, or just me, but I crave it – and eat it – every day. Mostly, I am content with a few squares of my beloved Chocolove Premium Bars, or natural chocolate covered dried cherries we get from the Organic bulk bin section at our market.
But some days, I really want ooey, gooey, hand-dipped ‘Candy Shoppe’ Chocolate
But alas, the “good” Candy Shoppe is 20 minutes drive away, and a box of delicious Chocolate Dipped Vanilla Butter Creams costs nearly $20! 😦 What’s a girl to DO??
Last spring,, it came up in conversation with my Mom that I love butter creams so much, I had broken my no-artificial-chemicals-in-food rule to eat a few Zitner’s Butter Cream Easter Eggs (a Philly Area Tradition). I don’t usually get food guilt, but I had it with these. Because I wanted more.
Mom said, “My friend So and So told me that she makes Butter Creams from scratch. She is no Betty Crocker, so I bet you can make them too.” Um, thanks, Mom? Lol. So I googled a few recipes, and gleaned together one that isn’t exactly Candy Shoppe perfect, but is EASY to make and TASTES terrific.
So, without further adieu, Let’s make Chocolates!
All Natural Chocolate Dipped Vanilla Butter Creams
(Makes 20 Chocolates – Recipe Can be Doubled)
* Filling Ingredients: (I used all organic versions)
2 Cups Powdered Sugar, Sifted
4 Tbsp Butter, Softened
1 tsp Good Quality Real Vanilla Extract
1 + 1/2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
Dash of salt
1 sheet pan lined with waxed paper, lightly greased with butter
1. Combine all ingredients. Mix well until creamy in appearance, yet firm enough to hold it’s shape. If it is too loose, add more sugar.
If it is too tight, add a drop or two more cream or vanilla. Taste and adjust to your liking, if needed.
Place in fridge for 5 minutes to make it a little more firm and easier to handle.
2.Spoon a small amount of chilled mix into your hand.
Working quickly so it does not melt, form into ¾ inch balls and place on the wax paper lined sheet pan.
3 . Pop into the Fridge while you make the chocolate coating
* Chocolate Ingredients:
1 Cup All Natural or Organic Chocolate Chips
4. Over a double boiler, just barely melt about 80% of the chocolate. Pull off heat and stir with spatula or wire whisk until completely melted. Work with spatula until it is almost cooled to the touch. Add in the remaining 20% of the chocolate, Stirring until again completely melted and smooth in appearance.
5. Remove Cream Balls from Fridge. Carefully push all to one side of the greased tray.
6. Working quickly enough so the chocolate does not harden, dip each cream ball into the chocolate, turning or spooning to coat completely.
Place back onto greased sheet pan. To make fancier, spoon small amounts of leftover chocolate on the tops of each, using tip of spoon to create a swirled design.
7. When all are dipped, pop back in fridge 15 – 30 minutes, or until ready to serve.
8 . ENJOY!! 🙂
* Variations: Get Creative! Try replacing half of the vanilla extract with orange, raspberry, cherry, mint or almond extract or essence. Try them with mixing ins, or toppings, such as toasted coconut,mini chips, sea salt or finely chopped nuts. You are only limited by your own imagination!