Chicken in Lettuce Cups is a fun casual meal for family or friends.
This juicy dish is served family style, and to be eaten with your hands.
Roll your sleeves up, grab some napkins, and dig in!
We Love these, and hope you give it a try!
Sweet & Tangy Chicken in Lettuce Cups
Makes Appetizers for 4, or Dinner for 2
Large Wok or medium sauté pan
Tongs, wood paddle, chef knife
Little bowls or dishes for fixings
3 T oil (peanut or Sunflower is preferred)
6 boneless chicken thighs
1/4 cup flour placed in soup bowl or mixing bowl
1 T chopped Ginger
2 T Honey
1 T Hoisin
1 T Ketchup
1/2 Lime- juice only
1 T light soy sauce
1 T Marie Sharp’s [or your fave] mild hot sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sliced scallions (optional)
1/4 cup lightly chopped cilantro
1/4 cup choice of diced pineapple, red pepper, carrot, onion, chopped peanuts, etc as condiments (as few or as many as you like)
20 lettuce cups (butter or bib lettuce, or Swiss chard leaves) – place on dinner plate
- Put wok on medium fire
- Add oil
- Dust chicken thighs in flour
- Place chicken in wok and cook to golden brown on one side
- flip chicken and cook to brown color on the other side
- Turn down heat to low and add ginger and stir with wood paddle, then add honey, Hoisin, ketchup, lime juice, soy sauce, and hot sauce. And continue to stir for maybe a minute
- add water and stir.
- As soon as chicken is fully cooked, use tongs to remove chicken and place on a cutting board – let the chicken rest for 5 minutes
- Using chef knife, slice chicken and place in a bowl
- Plate up chicken & condiments, serve and enjoy!