Twice Cooked Pork and Pineapple
“A Delicious 30 Minute Meal”
- Its noon, and I’m hungry,
- If you follow us, you know my routine by now.
- Off to the kitchen to see what I already have in the fridge and pantry that needs to be used up.
I see 1 cup of Belizean rice that I think I bought in Belize last year, a bottle of oyster sauce that has maybe 2 ounces left, one 4 ounce filet of cooked pork (left over from making steamed pork buns), a carrot, a chunk of ginger, one lonely clove of garlic, some chunks of cut up pineapple, a half red onion, and fresh broccoli stems with no flowers (I save the stems for soup). ~ Chef Bruce
These ingredients can easily make a really tasty meal for two, in only 30 minutes.
Ready? Let’s get Cooking!
Twice Cooked Pork & Pineapple
The Rice Step: (28 minutes total)
- 1 cup rice & 2 cups water
Rinse rice and drain.
Bring to a boil 2 cups water in a small saucepan. Add rice and a pinch of salt, then place a tight fitting lid on saucepan. Reduce flame to low or simmer. Do not lift the lid. No peeking!
Simmer Rice on low for 18 minutes;
then let the rice rest – with the lid still on – for another 10 minutes.
In 28 total minutes, you will have perfectly cooked rice.
- 4 ounces cooked pork, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices (loin, shoulder, round are all fine). Sliced cooked beef would work fine as well
- 1 T corn starch mixed with 1 Tblsp water
- 1 Tblsp Gochujang Fermented Red Pepper Paste OR Sriracha Sauce.
– Mix all ingredients together in a large dish or container.
Marinate the pork (10 minutes):
While the meat is marinating, Prep the veggies and Sauce (15 minutes):
2 Tblsp fresh peeled ginger, sliced into coins
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 carrot, cut into thin coins
1 handful of pineapple chunks
1/2 cup thinly sliced broccoli stems
1/2 onion, sliced
2 ounces oyster sauce
1 Tblsp soy sauce
2 ounces water or beef stock
3 Tblsp oil
* Time to Cook (5 minutes):
- Place a 12 inch wok on high flame, add the oil. Roll the wok so the oil coats the surface of the wok. When oil starts to smoke, add the marinated pork slices so they are separated in the wok. Cook the meat on one side to get some color; then flip the meat and cook on the other side.
- Add the ginger and garlic and stir all together for 30 seconds; then add the veggies and stir 30 seconds.
- Add the pineapple chunks, soy sauce, oyster sauce, water and stir together about 30 seconds. Remove from the wok and serve with rice
- Plate, Serve, and Enjoy!
That’s it! In 30 minutes, you made a wholesome & delicious meal for two.
- On a busy work day, you too can be a hero by cooking a tasty meal
- with food items you already have in your home.
- Your grandma would give you a thumbs up for being frugal,
- and you get a warm, home cooked meal. Win / Win!
- If you like, please feel free to contact me with a list of ingredients in your home that need to be used,
- and I will respond with an easy recipe. Teamwork!! ~ Chef Bruce